Welcome to the John Howard Society
of Sault Ste. Marie
The John Howard Society of Sault Ste. Marie and District has been active for 44 years. Since 1968, we have been committed to building a safe and productive community, working with adults and youth who are facing barriers to independent and healthy living. The best way to reduce crime and keep a community safe is to:
- prevent young people from dropping out of school
- help out families in trouble due to poverty or abuse
- improve the way people manage their life problems
- provide treatment to offenders
- keep people employed
The John Howard Society provides a range of services to help people in all of these areas. Our programs address the root causes of concerns that can lead to crime.
These prevention programs help:
- educate/teach young people and adults problem solving, decision making and conflict resolution skills
- members of our community to make lifestyle changes before, during and after conflict with the law
- in assisting people to find and maintain employment
The John Howard Society will continue to be part of the fabric of Sault Ste. Marie, dedicated to building partnerships that will keep this community productive and safe.
"In every community, there is work to be done. In every nation, there are wounds to heal. In every heart, there is the power to do it."
What Causes Crime?
Crime has no one cause, however there are many things that increase the chances that a person will commit crime. These things, called "risk factors" are poverty, childhood abuse, unstable families, unemployment, low levels of education, lack of housing and addictions. The more "risk factors" a person has in their life, the greater the chances are that they will commit crime.
How Can We Prevent Crime?
The only way to prevent crime is to eliminate the risk factors that increase a person's chance of committing crime. It also means preventing kids from dropping out of school, providing support for troubled families, funding alcohol and drug treatment centres and anger management programs.
Is Crime Prevention Expensive? Can We Afford It?
- Crime prevention is not expensive and yes we can afford it
- Effective crime prevention happens within the community
- A good crime prevention plan needs long and short-term goals to bring together people from all walks of life and all segments of the community
- For a crime prevention plan to work, it needs to be supported by the whole community